Twenty Iraqi nationals on board a USA-flagged vessel “Meyyale” were rescued by Corfu Coast Guard early Wednesday northeast of the island of Corfu.
The approximately 13-metre long vessel was located northwest of Othoni island. The refugees were transported to Corfu while the captain, a 25-year Ukrainian, alleged to be the trafficker, was arrested.
Corfu port authority is conducting an investigation.
- ND: A sad day for Greece and day of shame for Tsipras and Kammenos
- KKE: Greece-FYROM agreement the product of EU, NATO intervention
- Former Independent Greeks spokesperson Papadopoulou retires from politics
- Nimetz: Tsipras and Zaev displayed political courage and strategic vision
- Mogherini: We thank both sides because they made us proud as Europeans