The operator of a speedboat was arrested near the island of Kos early on Monday, on charges of illegally transporting 13 foreign nationals to the Greek shore. A coast guard patrol vessel had spotted the speedboat in a region of the sea known as ‘Psalidi’ and given pursuit when its operator did not comply with a signal to stop for inspection. The 30-year-old driver was overtaken and arrested, while authorities also found 13 irregular migrants that he is suspected of having dropped off on the shore of Akra Lourou on the island.
Kos port authorities are conducting an investigation into the case and have confiscated the speedboat.
- ND: A sad day for Greece and day of shame for Tsipras and Kammenos
- KKE: Greece-FYROM agreement the product of EU, NATO intervention
- Former Independent Greeks spokesperson Papadopoulou retires from politics
- Nimetz: Tsipras and Zaev displayed political courage and strategic vision
- Mogherini: We thank both sides because they made us proud as Europeans