Six bank employees are accused of stealing the content of safety deposit boxes in a bank branch in Thessaloniki, police said on Tuesday.
According to an announcement the six bank employees, aged 61 to 64, had access to the safety deposit boxes. The owners of the boxes had filed complaints in the period from 1999 to 2016 that valuables stored in their safety deposit box were missing.
The missing valuables included watches, jewellery with an estimated value of 2.7 million euros, 100,000 euros in cash, 3,196 US dollars and a number of gold sovereigns.
The case was revealed when the nine owners of 13 safety deposit boxes reported the theft.
- Athens Newspapers Headlines: Tuesday 22/05 edition
- Commission spokesperson: Attack against Mayor Boutaris ‘shameless and unethical’
- Rouvikonas storms Council of State, minor damages to building
- Mayor Boutaris calls on parties to protect democracy against extremists
- Greek stocks ended flat in the Athens Stock Exchange on Monday