A 40-year old trafficker who transferred 12 undocumented migrants in his vehicle, was arrested on the old Thessaloniki-Kavala national road on Tuesday.
The trafficker’s car swerved off the road and overturned during a police pursuit early in the morning.
The migrants were sent to hospital to be given first aid. The trafficker, a Moldovan national, was led before a public prosecutor.
The investigation revealed that the 12 migrants from Bangladesh and Pakistan had entered the country illegally from the Greek-Turkish border and that their final destination was the city of Thessaloniki. Their relatives were going to pay 1,500 for each migrant to a trafficking ring after the conclusion of the transfer.
- Athens Newspapers Headlines: Tuesday 22/05 edition
- Commission spokesperson: Attack against Mayor Boutaris ‘shameless and unethical’
- Rouvikonas storms Council of State, minor damages to building
- Mayor Boutaris calls on parties to protect democracy against extremists
- Greek stocks ended flat in the Athens Stock Exchange on Monday