Police proceeded to make 14 arrests in and around the OAKA stadium on Saturday, during the Cup Final match between Greek teams FC AEK Athens and FC PAOK Thessaloniki, which finally won the cup.
Six of those arrested are accused of participating in clashes that broke out after the referee declared the end of the match and one for possession of a fire cracker.
According to police, AEK supporters emerging from gates 3 and 7 attacked police stationed outside with flares and other objects. Police responded by using tear gas to disperse them and gave chase, arresting the seven individuals. Two of the 14 arrests were for thefts from the stadium canteen and the remaining five for possession of narcotics.
All 14 will be led before a public prosecutor on Sunday.
- Athens Newspapers Headlines: Tuesday 22/05 edition
- Commission spokesperson: Attack against Mayor Boutaris ‘shameless and unethical’
- Rouvikonas storms Council of State, minor damages to building
- Mayor Boutaris calls on parties to protect democracy against extremists
- Greek stocks ended flat in the Athens Stock Exchange on Monday