Golden Dawn leader Nikos Michaloliakos was handed an eight-month suspended jail sentence by a misdemeanors court on Friday for “incitement to violence, to commit crimes or create discord.”
His conviction concerns a public speech he gave on September 2011 in which he referred to the party’s political opponents, saying “we would break their heads.”
The case was brought to court by the Greek Helsinki Monitor, following a report in Greek newspaper “Efimeritha ton Syntakton”. The journalist who co-authored the news report, Dimitris Psarras, testified in court as a witness for the prosecution.
- Folli Follie asks Capital Market Commission to suspend trading of its shares
- Athens Newspapers Headlines: Friday 25/05 edition
- We are working for an increase in minimum wage, Labour Min Achtsioglou says
- Greek stocks end at lowest level since mid-December 2017
- Gov’t should call national elections, main opposition party reiterates