Golden Dawn leader Nikos Michaloliakos was handed an eight-month suspended jail sentence by a misdemeanors court on Friday for “incitement to violence, to commit crimes or create discord.”
His conviction concerns a public speech he gave on September 2011 in which he referred to the party’s political opponents, saying “we would break their heads.”
The case was brought to court by the Greek Helsinki Monitor, following a report in Greek newspaper “Efimeritha ton Syntakton”. The journalist who co-authored the news report, Dimitris Psarras, testified in court as a witness for the prosecution.
- Free tours to the world-famous Antikythira shipwreck at Aik. Laskaridis Foundation
- Police arrest three after high-speed car chase, confiscate 1.5 kilos heroin
- Sale of minority stakes in water utilities to begin by August
- Mogherini expresses full support towards Greece, Cyprus over Turkish provocations
- Former PASOK MP Dimitris Lintzeris sues protected witnesses in Novartis case