Parliament parties passed in principle the draft bill on asylum granted to migrants and refugees, following a lengthy debate of 12 hours, on Tuesday night.
The bill was introduced by the Migration Policy Ministry and incorporates EU directives into Greek law, speeding up and setting out guidelines for granting asylum.
Ruling coalition partners SYRIZA and ANEL, along with Potami, voted for it.
Main opposition New Democracy, the Communist Party and Golden Dawn voted against it.
Democratic Coalition and the Union of Centrists voted “present”.
- Athens Newspapers Headlines: Tuesday 22/05 edition
- Commission spokesperson: Attack against Mayor Boutaris ‘shameless and unethical’
- Rouvikonas storms Council of State, minor damages to building
- Mayor Boutaris calls on parties to protect democracy against extremists
- Greek stocks ended flat in the Athens Stock Exchange on Monday