A Greek Misdemeanours’ Court on Monday handed down a suspended sentence of four months in prison for far-right Golden Dawn party MP Giorgos Germenis, following his conviction for attempting to physically assault Athens Mayor Giorgos Kaminis in May 2013.
The conviction concerns an incident when the MP forced his way into a Athens municipality event at the “Solidarity Hub” – at the corner of Philadelphia and Domokou Streets – where he verbally abused and attempted to strike Kaminis but was held down by the mayor’s police guard.
The court heard Kaminis’ testimony concerning the incident while the accused was absent from the court and represented by his lawyer.
- ND: A sad day for Greece and day of shame for Tsipras and Kammenos
- KKE: Greece-FYROM agreement the product of EU, NATO intervention
- Former Independent Greeks spokesperson Papadopoulou retires from politics
- Nimetz: Tsipras and Zaev displayed political courage and strategic vision
- Mogherini: We thank both sides because they made us proud as Europeans