According to mythology the islands of Paxos were created when the god of the sea, Poseidon, hit the island of Corfu with his trident breaking off its southern tip in order to form Paxos, where he could keep his lover Amphitrite. However,in the process he lost his trident which was found by the islanders who made it into their island’s emblem.
Homer was the first to refer Paxos, whose inhabitants were Greek–speakers from Epirus. The first colonists were probably the Phoenicians who had a colony on neighbouring Cephalonia.
- ND leads SYRIZA by 13 points in latest poll
- Heads of institutions to meet with Greek FinMin Tsakalotos on Friday in Brussels
- Milos among Vogue's top destinations for 2017
- Greek Education Ministry: Gender studies in, Sophocles out!
- September 2015 national elections- Official results by Interior Ministry