Greece tops the list of EU member states in terms of the absorption of EU funds, as the conference of the European Parliament’s Regional Development Committee determined on Wednesday.
Thanks to these funds, Greek GDP rose 2 pct, according to the estimates of the EU officials, who also saw a rise in Greece’s competitiveness.
According to the EU’s DG REGIO director Rudolf Niessler, “For the 2007-2013 programmes, we had direct capital benefits in 2015, and additional advances secured another 1 billion euro transfers for 2015 and 2016. Through these liquidity injections Greece absorbed 100 pct of the available funds in the 2007-2013 period, compared to the EU absorption average of around 96 pct. Greece, with 100 pct, was the first country in terms of absorption. Also, the Community funds came to Greece much faster than in the other member-states.”
- Athens Newspapers Headlines: Tuesday 22/05 edition
- Commission spokesperson: Attack against Mayor Boutaris ‘shameless and unethical’
- Rouvikonas storms Council of State, minor damages to building
- Mayor Boutaris calls on parties to protect democracy against extremists
- Greek stocks ended flat in the Athens Stock Exchange on Monday