Shipping Minister Panagiotis Kouroumblis called on Greek ship-owners to register some of their ships under the Greek flag to support the country, during a New Year’s cake-cutting ceremony at the Hellenic Chamber of Shipping.
“We believe the time has come for Greek ship-owners to do more to support the country. We hope to see more ships under the Greek flag and we call on Greek ship-owners to bring at least a percentage of their ships under the Greek flag,” he said.
He said that in the last three years, more than 290 shipping companies have opened offices in the country and that revenues from shipping increased by 18.3 percent in the first nine months of 2017, bringing it to more than one billion euros.
- Potami: Top court ruling on religion teaching in schools is ‘jump backwards’
- Former head of PPC, Mytilineos Group owner to face kickbacks-for-contracts charges
- Migration minister to start tour of islands receiving refugees and migrants on Thursday
- Main opposition leader charges gov’t of diplomatic inadequacy in foreign affairs
- Greece’s 21 most sustainable companies for 2017