Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air on Monday reported a new historic record in annual passenger traffic in 2017, which exceeded 13 million passengers for the first time, for an increase of 6.0 pct.
Passenger traffic totaled 13.2 million last year, 750,000 more than the previous year, reflecting an improved exploitation of the network since the number of flights executed in 2017 was not higher compared with 2016.
Aegean Airlines said its international network remained the main driving force of growth, totaling 7.3 million passengers, for an annual increase of 9.0 pct. Domestic traffic totaled 5.9 million passengers, from 5.7 million in 2016, helped by attractive and regular offers in fares which led to very high seat occupancy rates. The seat occupancy rate was 83 pct in 2017 from 77 pct in 2016.
International passenger traffic in the Athens airport grew 9.0 pct to more than 10 million passengers.
“The year 2017 ended with positive performances, achieving all basic quantity and quality goals set for the year. We exploited our fleet more efficiently, achieving historic high occupancy rates and continued promoting products and destinations in our flights,” Dimitris Gerogiannis, Aegean Airlines CEO said in a statement.
- New budget resources to meet new EU challenges
- Turkish President Erdogan says he is sending exploration ship into east Mediterranean
- Members of PAME damaged part of fence around Piraeus port, security officials say
- Niarchos Foundation to sign agreement with gov’t over health services
- Afghan migrant killed in car accident in in the new port of Patras